Safety and Top Tips
Safety Tips from Associated Response
Associated Response is a company of Gas Safe Registered engineers. Our company Gas Safe number is 501758. Each of our engineers is Gas Safe registered. You should always use a Gas Safe registered engineer – watch this official video to find out more about our regulatory body. Our primary concern is the health and safety of you and your household, work colleagues and pets.
The principle danger we face is carbon monoxide (CO) (follow this link for an official video from Gas Safe or this award winning short thriller)- a highly poisonous substance produced by the incomplete burning of gas and Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG). This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked. Oil and solid fuels such as coal, wood, petrol and oil can also produce carbon monoxide.
Your property may show signs of carbon monoxide. Any one of the following could be a sign that there is carbon monoxide in your home.
- The flame on your cooker should be crisp and blue. Lazy yellow or orange flames mean you need to get your cooker checked
- Dark staining around or on appliances
Pilot lights that frequently blow out
- Increased condensation inside windows
What is carbon monoxide poisoning?
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when you breathe in even small amounts of the gas.
When you breathe in carbon monoxide, it gets into your blood stream and prevents your red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Without oxygen, your body tissue and cells die.
Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health when breathed in over a long period of time. Long term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning include Paralysis and brain damage. Such long term effects occur because many people are unaware of unsafe gas appliances and subsequent gas leaks.
Remember the six main symptoms to look out for:
- loss of consciousness
Being aware of the symptoms could save your life.
Carbon monoxide symptoms are similar to flu, food poisoning, viral infections and simply tiredness. That’s why it’s quite common for people to mistake this very dangerous poisoning for something else.
Other signs that could point to carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Your symptoms only occur when you are at home
- Your symptoms disappear or get better when you leave home and come back when you return
- Others in your household are experiencing symptoms (including your pets) and they appear at a similar time
What should I do if I experience any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
- Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house
- See your doctor immediately or go to hospital – let them know that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. They can do a blood or breath test to check
- If you think there is immediate danger, call the Gas Emergency Helpline
- Get a Gas Safe registered engineer to inspect your gas appliances and flues to see if there is a dangerous problem
Don’t assume your gas appliances are safe: get a Gas Safe registered gas engineer to do a check. This is the only safe way to prevent yourself and those around you from incurring serious illness or death due to carbon monoxide exposure.
What is a gas safety check?
A gas safety check involves a Gas Safe registered engineer inspecting your gas appliances. They will check the appliance is working correctly and will check the following four areas:
- Gas appliances are on the right setting and burning correctly with the correct operating pressure
- Harmful gases are being removed from the appliance safely to the air outside
- That any ventilation routes are clear and working properly
- All the safety devices are working
The check will identify any defects which require remedial work. You should have a gas safety check every year – and if you are a landlord it’s the law.