Serving the greater London area. Get a free quotation today.


020 8366 6420


Mon - Sun : 8am - 8pm



Top Safety Tips

Safety and Top Tips

Safety Tips from Associated Response

Associated Response is a company of Gas Safe Registered engineers. Our company Gas Safe number is 501758. Each of our engineers is Gas Safe registered. You should always use a Gas Safe registered engineer – watch this official video to find out more about our regulatory body. Our primary concern is the health and safety of you and your household, work colleagues and pets.

The principle danger we face is carbon monoxide (CO) (follow this link for an official video from Gas Safe or this award winning short thriller)- a highly poisonous substance produced by the incomplete burning of gas and Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG). This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked. Oil and solid fuels such as coal, wood, petrol and oil can also produce carbon monoxide.

Your property may show signs of carbon monoxide. Any one of the following could be a sign that there is carbon monoxide in your home.

    • The flame on your cooker should be crisp and blue. Lazy yellow or orange flames mean you need to get your cooker checked
    • Dark staining around or on appliances

Pilot lights that frequently blow out

  • Increased condensation inside windows

What is carbon monoxide poisoning?

Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when you breathe in even small amounts of the gas.
When you breathe in carbon monoxide, it gets into your blood stream and prevents your red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Without oxygen, your body tissue and cells die.
Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health when breathed in over a long period of time. Long term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning include Paralysis and brain damage. Such long term effects occur because many people are unaware of unsafe gas appliances and subsequent gas leaks.

Remember the six main symptoms to look out for:

  1. headaches
  2. dizziness
  3. nausea
  4. breathlessness
  5. collapse
  6. loss of consciousness

Being aware of the symptoms could save your life.

Carbon monoxide symptoms are similar to flu, food poisoning, viral infections and simply tiredness. That’s why it’s quite common for people to mistake this very dangerous poisoning for something else.

Other signs that could point to carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Your symptoms only occur when you are at home
  • Your symptoms disappear or get better when you leave home and come back when you return
  • Others in your household are experiencing symptoms (including your pets) and they appear at a similar time

What should I do if I experience any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

  • Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house
  • See your doctor immediately or go to hospital – let them know that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. They can do a blood or breath test to check
  • If you think there is immediate danger, call the Gas Emergency Helpline
  • Get a Gas Safe registered engineer to inspect your gas appliances and flues to see if there is a dangerous problem

Don’t assume your gas appliances are safe: get a Gas Safe registered gas engineer to do a check. This is the only safe way to prevent yourself and those around you from incurring serious illness or death due to carbon monoxide exposure.

What is a gas safety check?

A gas safety check involves a Gas Safe registered engineer inspecting your gas appliances. They will check the appliance is working correctly and will check the following four areas:

  • Gas appliances are on the right setting and burning correctly with the correct operating pressure
  • Harmful gases are being removed from the appliance safely to the air outside
  • That any ventilation routes are clear and working properly
  • All the safety devices are working

The check will identify any defects which require remedial work. You should have a gas safety check every year – and if you are a landlord it’s the law.


Gas Safety Week

Everyone at Associated Response is proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2019, taking place 16th – 22nd September.

Gas Safety Week is an annual event to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is coordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas.

Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.

By taking care of your gas appliances properly you are taking care of your home and your loved ones. Watch this video and follow these few simple checks to keep you and your family safe.

Check your gas appliances every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Tenants – make sure your landlord arranges this.
Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered. You can find and check an engineer at – our registration number is 501758 – click HERE for our link on the Gas Safety website.

Check your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. Every one of the engineers at Associated Response is registered with their own number. You can find this information on the back of the card.

Check for warning signs your appliances aren’t working correctlye.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.

Have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
For gas safety advice contact Associated Response 020 8366 6420 or the Gas Safe Register website at Alternatively call the free helpline on 0800 408 5500.


Service Your Boiler

Your boiler is one of the most important appliances in your property, when did you last have it serviced? And not only your boiler, what about other gas appliances?

To protect you and your family you should get your appliances – in particular a boiler and hob – serviced every year. Left unchecked a fault can lead to a dangerous leak, carbon monoxide poisoning, an explosion, as well as wasting unnecessary money on gas. Plus a new boiler will cost you thousands of pounds.

Did you know that rented properties have to get an annual gas safe certificate by law? That’s right – shouldn’t you do what’s best for your home as well.

In the last three years, the Gas Safe Register reports that the one in six British homes inspected by the Register has been found to have an unsafe gas appliance, which, if left unchecked, could have resulted in a gas fire, leak, explosion or CO poisoning. Also during this time, over 1000 injuries and 31 deaths have occurred due to gas related incidents.

Okay, you may be lucky, no-one is hurt when your boiler breaks down, you only need new parts – but you did not get an annual service the last couple of years because you have a warranty for parts and labour…. Peace of mind? Check the small print, chances are if you have not had an annual service the warranty will be invalid.

The message is simple and one of common sense. At Associated Response we specialise in gas appliances – from installation to maintenance and 24/7 emergency repairs. We are Gas Safe registered. Check us out.

Get your appliances checked, get the best out of them and peace of mind for you for £60. And then every year we will remind you of the same. How does that sound? Call us now on 020 8366 6420 or


Boiler Service

Need Help? Get Our Gas Safe Engineers

At this time of the year, we at Associated Response are at our busiest – grumbling noises from boilers, problems with pressure and pilot lights. Why call us? We are Gas Safe Registered, we are your local plumbing and heating experts – we cover your area, not the whole of London so that means a fast and professional response.

Every boiler should be serviced once a year – even if you don’t think it needs one – but if you notice any of the warning signs below you should arrange for us to service your appliance as soon as possible:

Your gas appliance is not working properly

Your appliance is burning with a lazy yellow flame instead of a crisp blue flame

You can see black marks or stains on or around  your gas appliance

The pilot light does not stay lit

There is increased condensation in the room

You are feeling sick and get headaches when indoors

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal and is caused by faulty or poorly maintained appliances. So at the very least it could be that you are wasting gas – and there is a risk you could be wasting your life.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal and is caused by faulty or poorly maintained appliances. So at the very least it could be that you are wasting gas – and there is a risk you could be wasting your life.

Give Associated Response a ring. Our call out charge is £60 plus VAT. That gives you one hour of our professional skills and we will find a solution that keeps you safe and gets the warmth back into your home.